Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Security Technology - tools and trends

Religious Product News technology issue is out and with it a short article I put together..

I know the entire basis of my security philosophy is the "Security is what you do and not what you have," and it is. However, that is not to say that technology is some sort of evil that should be shunned. What can it do for you?

Technology cannot create exceptional security. It can make exceptional security easier, apparently seamless, and less noticeable. After all, we all want better security but we don't want to tilt the "Security v. Convenience" scale too far, right?

No one wants to be inconvenienced; least of all me. I'm a bear at the airport. Why? Because that security is an illusion. I've been inconvenienced at many facilities and, as annoying as it might have been, it was effective. I remember one jewelry manufacturer out West. No one told me it was a no-metal facility so I had to conduct my survey without a belt or any other bits of personal possessions. Losing the belt was particularly difficult since I had just lost a little weight and the pants were a from before that time. Effective security makes some things bearable, but illusionary stuff is just annoying.

So once you start with a well designed security program that's built around processes and engineering the environment the technology becomes a creature comfort. It makes the other stuff easier. Now you no longer need a guard at a door to identify you (or maybe you still do). Now you no longer need to patrol your property with a quality alarm and response system (and maybe you still do).

All this article is meant to do is provide a snapshot into where technology is right now and how some of that can be of help to you and your congregation. Creating a Safe Sanctuary should make "God's House" more secure and not turn it into "God's Fortress."

No comments:

Post a Comment